Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Day 90 Numbers 30 - Vows

Keeping a vow, promise, pledge, covenant, one's word.... We see how YHWH considers our word binding, there are exceptions noted here, regarding a wife being overruled by her husband and we won't get distracted by that this morning, will we?!!

Seriously, though, if YHWH values our spoken word how much more does HE value of THE Living Word, his Son.The echo of God's spoken word at Jesus's baptism and on the mount of transfiguration.Luke 9:35 "A voice came from the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him."
Mark 9:7 "Then a cloud appeared and enveloped them, and a voice came from the cloud: "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!"

Here are a couple of vows that I can think off which are examples of zealous commitment but in hindsight,(the 20/20 vision)are considered foolish.
Peter, when he said he would never deny his Lord. Jesus didn't ask for a deathbed commitment, but Peter blurted the promise anyway. (Mark 14:29-31)
Jephthah who made a foolish vow, but he and his daughter paid the price of following through on the vow, Judges 11:21-40.
"God did not need that bargain to aid Jephthah. Jephthah was yet another tragic figure in Judges who had not yet learned enough about God to know that God does not respond to magic or bargains, which lay at the heart of Ba’al worship. Jephthah’s battle against the Ammonites was not won because of his vow, but because of God’s presence (11:32). His lack of faith in God, and understanding of who God is, cost him his daughter." See full article - http://www.cresourcei.org/jephthah.html

The times I over reach myself include, responding to something that wasn't asked of me, like Peter, and when I haven't weighed the cost up,it was a good "spur of the moment" idea but not within my means. Then I get into a right pickle to "live up to your word even when it hurts! Psalm 15:1 "LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary?Who may live on your holy hill?....v5....who keeps his oath even when it hurts." Hopefully, I am learning, to be careful in what I say...
Ecclesiastes 5:4-6
"When you make a vow to God, do not delay in fulfilling it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it.Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. And do not protest to the temple messenger, "My vow was a mistake." Why should God be angry at what you say and destroy the work of your hands?"

The consequences of not keeping our word are seen on court TV at least 6 hours a day!!!Ask Judge Judy, Alex, Matthis, Karen, .....and see the accuracy of God's word.
Hosea 10:4 "They make many promises,take false oaths and make agreements; therefore lawsuits spring up like poisonous weeds in a plowed field".

Proverbs 6:1-5 is full of what to do when we have made unwise decisions... "My son, if you have put up security for your neighbor, if you have struck hands in pledge for another,if you have been trapped by what you said, ensnared by the words of your mouth,then do this, my son, to free yourself,since you have fallen into your neighbor's hands:Go and humble yourself;press your plea with your neighbor!Allow no sleep to your eyes,no slumber to your eyelids.
Free yourself, like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter,like a bird from the snare of the fowler".

The prayer for the day has to be "Lord keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth"! May we listen to the Word more today than talk our words Amen.

1 comment: