Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Day 77:Shoulder the Holy Things of YHWH

Numbers 7: 6-9 So Moses took the carts and oxen and gave them to the Levites. He gave two carts and four oxen to the Gershonites, as their work required, and he gave four carts and eight oxen to the Merarites, as their work required. They were all under the direction of Ithamar son of Aaron, the priest. But Moses did not give any to the Kohathites, because they were to carry on their shoulders the holy things, for which they were responsible. Reference 1 Chronicles 15:14-16 re carrying the ark of the covenant.

It is interesting that each and every gift is recorded as given by each of the 12 tribes. Time was taken to appreciate the offerings. Then the gifts were distributed to make life easier for various household chores associated with worship. Washing, clean up and meal preparation was the core of temple worship! Some things have to be done and are an act of worship in the "doing"

Also there are some responsibilities that need to handled personally and carefully. and we can't "cookie cutter" the process or hand it of to others. Handling the Word of YHWH, paying attention to His commandments, although back then in the ark of the covenant, remain the same to this day.

Matthew 22:37-39 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'(Deut. 6:5 & Lev. 19:18)

Matt 11:28-30"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Finding it difficult to love someone this morning? Trying to figure out how to express love in the face of a difficult situation? someone being a royal pain in the neck!?

Try swapping out the unholy burden with the "Holy Things of YHWH" and you will have rest for your soul.
Siobhan

5 comments:

  1. I've always kind of wondered why the scripture names the gifts from each tribe though they are identical. The author could have said "And each tribe gave..." then list the identical items. It is fun to see it as God showing appreciation for each set of gifts.

    I also liked your annalysis of worship having to do with the washing,meal preparation and clean up.

    Shirley Fay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the picture of YHWH in the garden, and Jesus sharing meals in people's homes, washing feet. the simple stuff of life. Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  3. That each person serves God according to his calling a gifts it what really impresses me. We have such an attitude of heirarchy. We think that one calling is so much more important then another when in reality all are important. I am reading The Shack at at one part the emphasis on relationship verses heirarchy is explored. We demean and exhault each other so much for who we are and what we are called to do. We think foolishly that the leader is greater than the followers or that the host is greater than the one who prepared the meal. I have recently been struggling with my "call" with God. I get frustrated because I want to do "great" things but I have to take care of my family in a secular job. The Lord has blessed me in this job but I ache to do something more "holy". But who is to say what is "holy" and what is not. God is big enough for all of it and honors the faithful servant not the most glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Charlotte, I just finished reading the Shack also and there is plenty food for thought. I like the parts that talk about our "brazen familiarity with Deity" and how we view the Triune Godhead as being in hierarchy to each other. It's silly how we fuss over the theology we don't understand! Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the Shack also. A great book and so encouraging.

    Charlotte I commend you on your insight that God has called you to do exactly what you are doing. Because he knows the future he understands the impact you are having in your job and in your home when we only see today.

    May you continue to recognize his blessings in what he has given your hands to do.
    Shirley Fay

    ReplyDelete