Thursday, March 12, 2009

Day 71 Drinking from the cup of the Lord

Mark 16:1 When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus' body.
Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome
Mother of James and John (Matthew 27:55-57)and Joses (Matt 27:56) Joanna (Luke 24:10)

Mark 10:37-39 When we remember the request from the mother of James and John, we see a family dedication to being a follower. She was there to help with another mothers suffering, Mary, Jesus's mother. Her request earlier for her two sons James and John to sit on either side of Jesus in the Kingdom pales into insignificance as maybe a misguided impetuous request as we see the actions of sustained dedication on the part of all three people. She too shared and drank of the cup of sorrow. Her sons were to follow. James was the first martyr(Acts 12:1, 2)and, John exiled on Patmos as an old man.

Lets rewind a little. Jesus askes a pertinent question to Peter, one that gives us insight into the heart of the Servant King. Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?" (John 18:10-12)

Is there something in our lives today that calls us to be conscious of drinking from the cup of the Lord? Something that grieves us like Jesus grieved and was overwhelmed in Gethsemane? Is there a challenge that we are being called to participate in that rocks not just our world but our very beings?

Be encouraged, Read Psalm 16:5-10
LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;surely I have a delightful inheritance.I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.I have set the LORD always before me.Because he is at my right hand,I will not be shaken.

May we have the response that Jesus had "Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?"
God is Good, Always.
Siobhan

1 comment:

  1. I too have come to realize that God has prepared cups for each of us. I sometimes tremble at the thought of the cups others have been required to drink.

    I keep reminding myself that God will give me the grace to drink the cup he requires of me, though it may involve pain. He has been with me thus far in all that he has required. I remind myself that he will not suddenly stop sustaining me.

    Shirley Fay

    ReplyDelete