Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Day112 Preparing to stand before the Son of Man

Luke 21:24-36 Prepare to stand before the Son of Man!
Being forewarned is being forearmed."Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.....People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken.At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

Revelation 11:1-3 I was given a reed like a measuring rod and was told, "Go and measure the temple of God and the altar, and count the worshipers there. But exclude the outer court; do not measure it, because it has been given to the Gentiles. They will trample on the holy city for 42 months. And I will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth."

Without getting into Last Days theories & theologies, however the last days shake out, we are encourage to"Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap.For it will come on all those who live on the face of the whole earth. Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."

Being able to stand before the Son of Man is where our focus is to be. It made me think about Job when YHWH called to him to "Brace himself like a man", and answer him. Maybe reviewing those last few chapters of Job will give us a sense of what that will be like.. Let us know how you get on,
what struck you as you read?
what was the take away message from Job's reactions to YHWH's speeches?

Our reflection will give us deeper revelation of YHWH's character and HIS expectation of us.

Siobhan

3 comments:

  1. Here are some questions that I need to remember when I think God is not interested in what is happening to me.
    Job 38ff
    "Where were you when I.....?
    "Have you ever given orders to the morning,or shown the dawn its place?
    Have you journeyed to.....
    Have the gates of death been shown to you?
    Have you seen the gates of the shadow of death?
    Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth?
    What is the way to....?
    Can you take them to their places?
    Can you bring forth...?
    Do you send ...?
    Who provides food...?
    Do you know when...?
    Do you give(the horse his) strength?
    Do you know when the mountain goats give birth?
    Job 42
    Job says You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?'
    Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.
    My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you.Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."

    I am reminded of what Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but through me"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am often reminded of this dialog when I am facing difficult situations. It helps me recognize that God did not intend me to always understand. I also draw comfort from Job's last response, "I know that You can do everything, and that no purpose of yours can be withheld from you."

    I am slowly coming to fuller understanding of the intimacy of God's involvement in each of our lives, not only for salvation, but in the culmination of our daily experiences.

    Shirley Fay

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's reassuring to know that God dwells among us, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete